Every Friday throughout the summer of 2014, the Wells College Department of Athletics website will look back at the "year that was". Starting with field hockey on Friday, May 16, a comprehensive "season in review" for each of Wells' 14 NCAA Division III varsity sports will be posted, giving fans not only a look back but also a look forward to the upcoming season of play.
- Field Hockey (05/16/14)
- Women's Soccer (05/23/14)
- Men's Soccer (05/30/14)
- Women's Cross Country (06/06/14)
In only their second year as a modern-day varsity program at Wells, the women's volleyball team improved in virtually every defensive and offensive statistical category. Led by Head Coach Richard Gary, Wells made significant strides in the standings, moving from 12th overall in 2012 to eighth in 2013. In addition, the Express picked up their first-ever All-Conference selection and racked up three victories within the North Eastern Athletic Conference.
POSTSEASON AWARD WINNERS
|MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
- FIRST-EVER ALL-CONFERENCE PLAYER: Freshman Meredith Kadjeski (Mechanicsburg, Pa.) earned North Eastern Athletic Conference Second Team All-Conference honors following the season. The first-ever All-Conference selection from Wells, Kadjeski led all Express players with 318 kills in 2013, setting a single-season program record in that statistic. She also led all players in total attacks (961) and total blocks (28) while posting 47 service aces for Wells, ranking second on the team. Defensively, Kadjeski racked up 143 digs (1.49/set).
- ROOKIE MOVE: Amongst the conference's first year players, Kadjeski trailed only freshman Sophia Zhang of Penn St.-Berks with 318 kills and 3.31 kills per set. Amongst conference foes, Kadjeski was fourth in kills per set and eighth in total kills. Against league teams, Kadjeski posted the league's third-best kills per set mark (3.67) and the second-highest amount of kills (143), once again trailing Zhang in both categories.
- LET'S PLAY FIVE: Wells racked up a 2-1 record in five set matches in 2013. Dating back to the first year of modern-day varsity play in 2012, Wells boasts three victories when their matches go the distance. All three of their five set wins are against NEAC opponents (3-0).
- WORTHY OF "MERRITT": Freshman Antonaia Merritt (Albany, N.Y.) registered a perfect serving percentage (1.000) in 2013 and did not commit an error through 41 total serves. No other player in team history has accomplished this feat.
- "SET" UP FOR SUCCESS: In modern-day team history, both Nicole Loeven (Pawling, N.Y.) and Zakarra Butts (Cortland, N.Y.) have appeared in every set for the Express. From 2012 to 2013, Wells has played 214 sets - setter Taryn Heath (Truxton, N.Y.), who sat out a set in her team's decisive 3-0 victory over Johnson State on Aug. 31, ranks second with 213 sets played.
- SINGLE GAME RECORDS: Numerous individual match records were set in 2013, including the following:
- Kills - 23, Meredith Kadjeski, Utica, 09/07/13
- Attack Attempts - 67, Meredith Kadjeski, vs. Cobleskill St., 10/06/13
- Attack Percentage - .429, Zakarra Butts, vs. Cazenovia, 10/06/13
- Assists - 46, Taryn Heath, vs. Utica, 09/07/13
- Service Aces - 10, Zakarra Butts, vs. Johnson St., 08/31/13
- Digs - 23, Jessilyn Artaho-Aki, vs. St. Elizabeth, 09/21/13
SEASON RECAP VIDEO