Every Friday throughout the summer of 2014, the Wells College Department of Athletics website will look back at the "year that was". Starting with field hockey on Friday, May 16, a comprehensive "season in review" for each of Wells' 14 NCAA Division III varsity sports will be posted, giving fans not only a look back but also a look forward to the upcoming season of play.
- Field Hockey (05/16/14)
- Women's Soccer (05/23/14)
- Men's Soccer (05/30/14)
- Women's Cross Country (06/06/14)
- Women's Volleyball (06/13/14)
In only their seventh season as a varsity program in Aurora, Head Coach Dr. Jack Daniels and the men's cross country team competed at seven team events throughout the year. Additionally, the team sent an individual runner to compete against a strong field at the NCAA Division III Atlantic Regionals.
6K - 22:02.70 (09/21/13)
8K - 29:43.20 (11/16/13)
6K - 26:23.70 (09/21/13)
8K - 34:55.30 (09/14/13)
POSTSEASON AWARD WINNERS
|MOST VALUABLE RUNNER
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
- IT'S ACADEMIC: In recognition of their strong academic performance, the men's cross country team picked up a United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division III All-Academic Team award. Among the 220 total programs recognized with the award, Wells was one of only 141 schools to have both their men's and women's teams honored in the same season
- PAUL HERNON, THE THIRD: Junior Paul Hernon (New Hartford, N.Y.) became the third individual from the men's cross country program to participate at the NCAA Division III Atlantic Regionals. With an 8K time of 29:43.2, he placed 216th against the field of 275 runners from across the region. In the process, Hernon not only registered a career low time but also posted the fourth-best 8K time in team history.
- TOP 20: At the 2013 NEAC Championship race on the campus of the SUNY Institute of Technology, Hernon placed 20th amongst the field of runners with a time of 30:46 across the 8K course which proved to be a two minute improvement from his time the previous season.
- "PAUL-CONFERENCE": With a strong finish at the NEAC Championship race, Hernon earned Third Team All-Conference honors. Hernon became only the second runner in team history to earn All-League recognition - Brayden Shumski '13 as a Second Team selection in 2009 and 2010 before claiming First Team merits as a junior and senior.
- ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Freshman Ky'aire Reed (Trenton, N.J.) earned the team's Rookie of the Year honors at the Athletics Awards Banquet in April. Reed placed second to Hernon three separate times on the season and posted his season-best 8K time on Sept. 14 at the Yellow Jacket Invitational (34:55.30).
- TOP TIMES: First year runners Andrew Zellers (Seneca Falls, N.Y.) and Raymond Soriano (Laredo, Texas) rounded out the five runners that regularly scored for the Express. Zellers' top 8K time (37:15.10) came at the Oswego State Invitational on Sept. 7 while Soriano completed his fastest 8K race at the Yellow Jacket Invitational on Sept. 14 (39:56.30).
SEASON RECAP VIDEO